The conference venue will be the University of Alba Iulia; address: Alba Iulia, 5, Gabriel Bethlen Str., 510009, Tel: +40-0258-806130, +40-0258-806273, Fax: +40-0258-812630. The venue offers all necessary presentation facilities, including laptops and projectors, and internet access.
Alba Iulia Municipality
Alba Iulia is situated in the heart of Romania and is the spiritual capital of the country. Alba Iulia is the site of the ancient Apulum, founded by the Romans in the 2nd cent. A.D., and destroyed by Tatars in 1241.From 1599 to 1601, Alba Iulia was the capital of the united principalities of Walachia, Transylvania and Moldavia. It was the site of the proclamation of Transylvania's unification with Romania
(1 December 1918) and of the coronation of King Ferdinand in 1922.
Alba Iulia municipality is situated in a magnificent territory, and the traveler is warmly welcomed here. The tourist potential of the area is mirrored by the numerous traces of millenary history, by its architecture and art, by the variety and beauty of nature.
The Reunification Cathedral
Grandiose building, the Reunification Cathedral was built between 1921-1923, on the basis of a project drawn by the architect D. G. Stefanescu, under the supervision of the engineer T. Eremia.
The establishment was built in the shape of a Greek cross, with an open porch.
One can get inside through a right-angled narthex with three round headed vault units, a narrow have and a sanctuary.
Constantin Petrescu painted the fresco in a traditionally iconographic style
The Great Romanian monarchs King Ferdinand and Queen Mary were crowned here on the 15th of October 1922.
The National Museum of Unification
The National Museum of Unification in Alba Iulia is one of the finest in Romania.
The museum is hosted in a building originally built for military purposes, the Babilon Building dating since the half of the 19th century (1851-1853).
Its two floors and over 100 rooms host the basic exhibition, a warehouse, library and restoration laboratories.
The museum exhibits over 130000 pieces of priceless works included in its patrimony, starting with a pre-historic section, Dacian-Roman and feudal sections, the great battles with the Turks, the Revolution of 1848, the Unification of the Principalities in 1859, the Unification of Transylvania with Romania, etc.
The Fortress of Alba Iulia (Alba Carolina Fortress)
The Alba Carolina fortress was built between 1714 and 1738 and it is considered to be the most representative of Vauban type in Europe.
The fortress was designed by the Italian architect Giovanni Morando Visconti, who worked under the supervision of the general Stefan de Steinville and was later completed under General Weiss. Between the 18th and 19th centuries the fortress served as the military headquarters of Transylvania and also as a general armament repository. The perimeter of the outside walls is about 12 km. The fortification has seven bastions (Eugene of Savoia, St. Stefan, The Trinity, St. Michael, St. Carol, St. Capistrano and St. Elisabeth) that make it into a star-shaped, Vauban-style fortress. The largest bastion is the Trinity. On the whole, the fortress stands out as the most important baroque architectural ensemble in Romania and Europe.
The Route of the Three Fortifications
A unique tourist destination in Europe and the world, the Route of the Three Fortifications offers the visitors a life-time chance to travel 2,000 years back in time, walking about the vestiges of three fortifications belonging to three different historical epochs, successively built on the same location, each new citadel including the previous one: The Roman Castre (106 AD), The Medieval Citadel (XVIth -XVIIth cent.) and the Alba Carolina Citadel, a Vauban-type fortification ( XVIIIth cent.). The route includes visits to: The Minting Factory Gate, South Gate of the Roman Castre, The Military Camp, The Access Tunnel to the Artillery Platform, The Artillery Platform, The Guard Room - The Arms Room, The Bethlem Bastion and the Alba Carolina Citadel.